Monday, March 16, 2009

Back to Work?

Well after a fantastically relaxing week with Jenica and Christopher in Fla., we arrived home last night. It was nice to come home to a fairly clean house, clean clothes, and no mail to sort. For some reason, my ankles and feet have been swelling terribly each time I fly. By last night, my tattoo on my foot looked like some type of blowfish. By the time I woke this morning, still swollen and painful to walk. Spending an hour and a half on the runway, not able to walk, does not help this situation. I stayed home from work today, not a big deal, since I don't have a class today. I spent most of the day sorting through work e-mail and the mail that was delivered to the house, and finishing up a class at the University of Phoenix.

I would say that I drank more this past week than I have in the past year. Christopher was quite the bartender and made sure I had my fill of margs and sailor jerry's. We spent my birthday at a pub called McGuires and drank Irish Wakes. I could only handle one (in a mason Jar). It was basically 151 rum, some more rum, blue caracao, and two freshly squeezed oranges. Tasty and tart. Michael and Christopher drank two, I don't know how. Diesel fuel was another prime choice of beverage. I would describe it as a long island iced tea served in a mason jar. A frozen bushwhacker was very tasty, basically a kahlua (spelling?) colada.

We spent time doing the "naval" things like touring the squadron, shopping at the NEX, and visiting the Naval Aviation Museum on base (which is impressive, similar to the Smithsonian, and free too). I really enjoyed the museum and it was not totally devoted to the Blue Angels, which much of the hype around Pensacola is. It truly makes it more enjoyable when you have a tour guide like Christopher. Of course, we had to make the drive to the USS Alabama for Michael. A highlight for him. Enough said.

The beaches are beautiful, white sand, clear blue ocean. Most days were high 70s to low 80s. We spent one day on a pontoon and got fried to a crisp. I am still sore from that sunburn, and just starting to peel.

Of course, eating with Jenica and Christopher is always amazing. I ate some type of seafood almost every night, and we shopped at the most incredible fish market. Scallops and shrimp on the grill, with Jenica's homemade jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon. Amazing! and easy (Michael even ate one!).

We are looking forward to another Florida vacation in July, I told Michael, this time no touring of any kind...just a true beach flop!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you posted about the trip! Now get on Michael - I believe he has a few stories to share involving toilets...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time, but agree that a true beach flop is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great vacation! Sorry about the after-effects of flying.

    Food, drinks, lazy beach -- I think an all-inclusive at a private island resort is in order (for all of us)!

    ReplyDelete